Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Typical College Student, Not So Typical Music

Everyone knows the collegiate stereotype. The college lifestyle is almost completely based around music. People wear t-shirts of their favorite bands. At almost every party there are bass-thumping songs blasting under conversations and dancing. All across campus, people are listening to iPods waiting for classes to start.

Of course, there are the music stereotypes along with those collegiate stereotypes. "I listen to rap" or "I listen to rock" are the statements usually heard (And don't forget Dave Matthews Band and Jack Johnson- both are successful thanks to college kids).

However, that stereotype is slowly fading. Jessica, a freshman at Georgia State University says that she likes "anything from classic rock to alternative to Lil' Wayne."

She developed the taste for her music preferences during her sophomore year in high school. Her preferences are still with her, but are not limited to those styles.

"I don't really listen to country, but I have respect for all types of music," she says.

Lately, more and more people (I've noticed, at least) are thinking the same way. No one says "I only listen to [insert genre here]" anymore. It's all about having variety and respecting what each genre brings to the table.

Honestly, I prefer it this way. Like Jessica, I'm not the biggest fan of country music. I do respect the genre (I even listen to Johnny Cash sometimes!) and what progression has been made in the field.

But the real question is what do you think?

The music industry owes it all to us - the fans. What we like (or what we buy) drives the industry.

So, leave a comment about your favorite music (bands, artists, etc.). But I challenge you to listen to something you usually wouldn't and tell me your feelings on that as well.

You never know. You might actually enjoy country music after all.

5 comments:

  1. I don't generally listen to country but I have a lot of friends who do. One of my friends is so set on country music that she pretty much refuses to listen to anything else. But, like you, I try to keep an open mind. However, when we are in the car the two of us fight over what to put on the radio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the wildest variety of music. I listen to artists such as La Roux, Boys Like Girls, Beyonce, Justin Timberlake, Christina Aguilera, Katy Perry, Ke$ha, Usher, Nicki Minaj, Day 26, Leighton Meester, Robin Thicke, Trey Songz, The Pussycat Dolls, and Lady Antebellum. These artists aren't even half of what I listen to on a regular basis! I just love all music in general and it doesn't matter what genre it is because if I like the way it sounds that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do agree with what you said Geneva. I think people's musical variety is expanding. However I feel this is also directly related to artists "blurring the lines of music." I think artists are no longer limited to one genre.

    Take for example Taylor Swift. She isn't what you would consider a "tradition" country artist. Her music is more pop-country therefore already expanding the musical tastes of someone who may have strictly listened to country before.

    But also to answer your question I too have a wide range of taste in music. Some of my current faves are: Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Trina, Rihanna, Regina Spektor, Leona Lewis, Christina Aguilera, Nikki Minaj, Lil Wayne, Gucci Mane, Trey Songz, Tila Tequila, Taylor Swift, ICP, and Miley Cyrus (to name a few).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a drummer-for-hire in a country band for about a year when I was in hign school. Needless to say, it was not what I really wanted to be doing, musically.

    I really like The Roots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, I could never attach myself to one genre. I love a band called Medeski, Martin, and Wood. I think they bring a lot to jazz and where jazz might be heading. They are very progressive in that respect and are fantastic musicians.

    Since I play the bass, I think it is important to branch out and experience new music. I like to make a point of it.

    Good Stuff.

    ReplyDelete